What We Believe
We believe in the teachings of the Christian Gospel and adhere to the Baptist Union Declaration of Principle:
- That our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, is the sole and absolute authority in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, and that each Church has liberty under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to interpret and administer His Laws.
- That Christian Baptism is the immersion in water into the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, of those who have professed repentance towards God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ who “died for our sins according to the Scriptures, was buried, and rose again the third day”.
- That it is the duty of every disciple to bear personal witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to take part in the evangelisation of the world.
Our mission commitment is that we in Westbury-on-Trym Baptist Church seek to be a ‘Christian community at the heart of our neighbourhood’ offering;
- relevant and accessible worship of God for people of all ages
- Biblical teaching
- celebration of the gift of believers’ baptism
- welcoming, friendly and inclusive fellowship, enabling all to express their gifts and fulfil their potential
- service to the neighbourhood and the world by:
- telling the good news about God’s love for everyone through Jesus Christ
- addressing physical, emotional and spiritual needs
- sponsoring a wide range of activities for all ages
- supporting Christian missionary and relief and development agencies
- campaigning for peace, justice and the wise use of the environment in Westbury, in Bristol, in the UK and throughout the world
- making our premises available to a range of local clubs and organisations.
In these ways we seek to be true to our calling to follow Jesus, developing our personal relationships with God and together expressing the presence of God’s kingdom in the world.
We believe in the power of prayer.
We are united together in Our Covenant with each other.
We belong to the north west Bristol ‘cluster’ of Baptist churches, West of England Baptist Association, Baptist Union of Great Britain www.baptist.org.uk and of Churches Together in the Westbury Area. We are supporters of BMS World Mission, Christian Aid and Tearfund.
Want to find out more?