History of our church
The Westbury-on-Trym Baptist Church history and journey so far...
Westbury on Trym Baptist Church (WBC) began as a Sunday School in a house on The Dell in 1944
The church as such was founded by members from Tyndale Baptist Church and the Church Covenant was signed in April 1947. From the beginning we have been led and guided by God as we seek to discern his will and build up his kingdom in this community and beyond it.
The current sanctuary was dedicated in 1968 and has been expanded since then to fit the changing needs of the community.
WBC has provided support to Lawrence Weston Baptist Church, a small church on a nearby estate, for a number of years. We released Sheila Cooper, an assistant minister in our church, to lead the first stages of new ministry there.
WBC has always been active in the wider community. There is a pre-school, toddlers, scouts and guides, and lunch club. WBC makes its premises open to a wide range of other activities which serve the community.
Work among children and young people has always been important and supported by a number of youth workers in recent years.
Several members have gone on to ordained ministry or overseas work as a missionary.
Recent past ministers have been called to wider jobs in the Baptist world: Steve Finamore (1996-2006) now serves as principal of Bristol Baptist College; Colin Norris (2008-2010) is a regional minister for the Southern Counties Baptist Association. Ben Lucas (2012-2017) is now working with a project in Dorset.
As we seek to be a ‘Christian community at the heart of the neighbourhood’ we know we will face challenges in the future. We look back and see how God has been faithful to us on the past and look forward with confidence, trusting that he will lead us on in his ways.
Click the following link to download a more detailed history of the church – WBC-History